NetBeans IDE is open-source and free IDE, Runs on Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and Solaris, to develop desktop, mobile and web applications with Java, PHP, C/C++ and more. The current version is NetBeans IDE 7.1.
- Browse to NetBeans download page, http://netbeans.org/downloads/index.html. Make sure the Platform selection is suit your platform, and click to select the bundles to download. In my case, I download with All bundles of 249MB. Actually, you can add or remove packs later using the IDE's Plugin Manager (Tools | Plugins).
- Your download should start automatically. Click to run it after download completed.
- Accept the suggested NetBeans IDE directory. The JDK directory should be the detected directory with JDK. (Refer to the post Install JDK 7 on Windows 8 if yo haven't install it)
- Accept the suggested install GlassFish directory.
- Review your setting and click Install.
- You should have shortcut to NetBeans IDE 7.1 on both your Metro UI and Desktop.
- Create Hello World! using NetBeans IDE 7.1 to verify your installation.